Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Officers are the one in charge for the duration of your stay in the United States. Your duration of stay will be indicated on the departure portion of Form I-94 Arrival-Departure Record, which is returned to you along with your stamped passport at the time of your entry into the U.S. Your duration of stay may take up to one year. If you are required to stay in the United States beyond the period authorized on your Form I-94 to accomplish the remaining business-related task, you may obtain an extension of stay that can be granted in increments of up to six months. Members of recognized religious denominations who are coming to the U.S. for the sole purpose of missionary work can have an exception, their granted extensions of stay in increments may take up to one year in length.

B-1 Visa Application Process and Immigration Lawyer in Los Angeles

Due to the complications involved in the immigration process, it is highly recommended to work on the process in coordination with an immigration law firm in Los Angeles, CA. You have different options to prepare your application. You can hire the best immigration lawyer in Los Angeles or you can consult an immigration office in Los Angeles, CA. Hiring an immigration lawyer in LA or immigration law firm in Los Angeles can make the application process smooth for you, with more chances of getting your desired visa type under professional supervision versus doing it yourself. As specified on your Form I-94, you must depart the U.S. on or before the last day you are authorized to remain in the U.S. As per the U.S. Immigration (Los Angeles) law, if you fail to do so, it will result in being out-of-status, which may cause you to be ineligible to receive a visa to enter the U.S. in the future.

Consult an Immigration lawyer in Los Angeles for B-1/B-2 Visa

B-1/B-2 Visa Extension Application

To secure an extension of stay you will be required to submit Form I-539 Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, along with the relevant supporting documents, to USCIS. For B-1/B-2 Visa extension, again it is recommended to consult an immigration law firm in Los Angeles, CA. You can find the instructions to Form I-539 here and the form itself here. You should file Form I-539 at least 45 days before your duration of stay expires. The following should be submitted alongside your Form I-539:

  1. your original Form I-94;
  2. a written statement explain the following in detail:
  3. the reasons for your request,
  4. why your extended stay would be temporary, including what arrangements you have made to depart from the U.S, and
  5. any effect the extended stay may have on your foreign employment or residency; and
  6. A check or money order for the $290 filing fee for Form I-539. The following guidelines must be met when preparing the check or money order:
  7. The check or money order must be drawn on a bank or other financial institution located in the United States and must be payable in US currency; and
  8. The check should be made payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

B-1/B-2 Visa Extension Application

U.S Immigration in Los Angeles also requires your valid passport and if in case your passport is invalid you will be required to submit a written explanation along with Form I-539. If you fail to complete all the information on Form I-539, it may result in your request for the extension being delayed or denied. You can send your Form I-539 via E-filing or file by mail. If you are submitting Form I-539 and the supporting documents by mail, you will need to address them as follows:

For US Postal Service deliveries:


P.O. Box 660166

Dallas, TX 75266

For Express mail and commercial courier deliveries:


ATTN: I-539

2501 S. State Highway 121 Business Ste 400

Lewisville, TX 75067