B-1 visa allows people who are seeking entry for business-related purposes. The B-1 visa allows individuals to stay in the United States between 1 to 6 months.

But what if you still desire to stay in the United States after extending your B-1 tourist visa? Would you apply for another extension? Instead of risk-taking another extension you could apply for a green card during the extended period of the time you have.

Extending your B-1 or B-2 tourist visa

To extend your B-1 visa, visa extension period is up to 6 months; maximum total amount of time permitted on B-1 status on any one trip is generally 1 year. After the time indicated on your I-94 Form, if you still have the desire to stay, you must file a Form I-539 with relevant supporting documents to USCIS. This procedure will change or extend your immigration status

Obtaining a Green Card through EB-1A

After the extension process, you have now earned the time to become eligible to change your non-immigration status. If you are an individual with these criteria you have a high chance of obtaining your permanent residency

  1. Acclaimed nationally or internationally noticed one’s special ability in the fields of art, athletic, business, science and education.
    example: Olympic Medal, Nobel Prize, or Oscars, Startup competition
  2. Support of Extensive documentation on Individuals ability

When the individual fulfills this requirement the EB-1A grants applicants with permanent residence within the United States. If you do not acquire any recognition on a national or international level, applicants can still demonstrate their extraordinary abilities, supported by extensive documentation, by meeting any three of the following criteria:

  1. Proof of a minor degree national and international prizes or awards for excellence.
  2. Proof of being a member of an associations that has remarkable achievements.
  3. Proof of publications by Major media productions on the individual’s ability.
  4. Proof of participating as a Judge, either individually or on a panel of others work.
  5. Proof of a major contribution towards your ability related field.
  6. Proof of authorship on scholarly articles in Major trade publications, Professional journal, and any other major media.
  7. Proof of your work being displayed at exhibitions or showcases
  8. Proof of taking a leading or a critical role in a notable organization.
  9. Proof of high salary or remuneration opportunities relative to your ability related field.
  10. Proof of commercial success obtained through office receipts, C.D, DVD sales or cassette by performing arts.

Extend tourist visa and turn into green card - Criteria

Other Ways to Extend Your B-1 Tourist Visa and Turn it into a Green Card

When you arrive in the States with a B-1 or B-2 visa you have 6 months, and during this 6 months majority of the non-immigrants tends to lean toward marriage or an EB-1 green card. The easiest way to obtain your green card would be through marriage due to its low cost and easy application.

We hope this article can be a useful guide to your journey.