But what if you still desire to stay in the United States after extending your B-1 tourist visa? Would you apply for another extension? Instead of risk-taking another extension you could apply for a green card during the extended period of the time you have.
Extending your B-1 or B-2 tourist visa
To extend your B-1 visa, visa extension period is up to 6 months; maximum total amount of time permitted on B-1 status on any one trip is generally 1 year. After the time indicated on your I-94 Form, if you still have the desire to stay, you must file a Form I-539 with relevant supporting documents to USCIS. This procedure will change or extend your immigration status
Obtaining a Green Card through EB-1A
After the extension process, you have now earned the time to become eligible to change your non-immigration status. If you are an individual with these criteria you have a high chance of obtaining your permanent residency
- Acclaimed nationally or internationally noticed one’s special ability in the fields of art, athletic, business, science and education.
example: Olympic Medal, Nobel Prize, or Oscars, Startup competition
- Support of Extensive documentation on Individuals ability
When the individual fulfills this requirement the EB-1A grants applicants with permanent residence within the United States. If you do not acquire any recognition on a national or international level, applicants can still demonstrate their extraordinary abilities, supported by extensive documentation, by meeting any three of the following criteria:
- Proof of a minor degree national and international prizes or awards for excellence.
- Proof of being a member of an associations that has remarkable achievements.
- Proof of publications by Major media productions on the individual’s ability.
- Proof of participating as a Judge, either individually or on a panel of others work.
- Proof of a major contribution towards your ability related field.
- Proof of authorship on scholarly articles in Major trade publications, Professional journal, and any other major media.
- Proof of your work being displayed at exhibitions or showcases
- Proof of taking a leading or a critical role in a notable organization.
- Proof of high salary or remuneration opportunities relative to your ability related field.
- Proof of commercial success obtained through office receipts, C.D, DVD sales or cassette by performing arts.
Other Ways to Extend Your B-1 Tourist Visa and Turn it into a Green Card
When you arrive in the States with a B-1 or B-2 visa you have 6 months, and during this 6 months majority of the non-immigrants tends to lean toward marriage or an EB-1 green card. The easiest way to obtain your green card would be through marriage due to its low cost and easy application.
We hope this article can be a useful guide to your journey.