Preparation for immigration to the U.S. is one of the most time consuming and strenuous process amongst all the countries. There are various types of visas for each person who visits the U.S. serving a different purpose like education (F-1 Visa)/ work/ pleasure (H-1B, OPT)/ business travel (B-1/B-2 Visa) or even an intra-company transfer employee (L-1/L-2 Visa). This article delves into some interesting and fun facts about the immigration process in the U.S., which most people are unaware of.
Top 10 Facts about Immigration
- There are 50,000 immigration lawyers in the U.S. Most of them are bad lawyers.
- Obama has deported more immigrants than any other president in the history of the U.S.
- H-1B visas are making it hard on top IVY Grads to work in the U.S.
- July 17 is the day when startup founders will be able to apply for a visa as entrepreneurs.
- Earlier this year it became much easier for startup founders to get a green card under the National Waiver Interest (NIW/EB-2 program) Until today you needed a job that proved you would affect the U.S for the better and therefore you can now get a Green Cad. From January 2017 an entrepreneur has to be in the position to affect the future of the nation and without employment that individual can now apply for a green card.
- There are investment visas such as E-2 which allows immigrants to invest as little as 50,000$ and for that get working visa in the U.S.
- Immigration is the hardest time in a life of a traveler. Then need to start everything again including their credit score. If you find an immigrant – maybe you can make it easier for her to rent an apartment.
- Even with Trump on board, the number of talented entrepreneurs coming to the U.S has only increased.
- The size of the immigration market is 6B$ but it does not include Chinese investors who cover another 8.5B$ in size.
- On their return from the Moon, Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins were asked to fill customs and immigration forms to enter the U.S.- Source
- League of Legends pro players have been designated as professional athletes by USCIS and they have relaxed the visa application process for them. – Source
- The mass immigration in the 1800’s led to more number of Irish-Americans over Irish nationals.
- The Chinese immigrants were banned from 1882 until 1943 by the U.S. and under pressure, Canada also banned them in 1923– Source
- President Roosevelt signed an immigration act on Feb 20th, 1907, to ban all idiots, imbeciles, and insane or mentally ill people from entering the U.S. – Source
- If a same-sex couple is legally married in a U.S state., they still don’t qualify for spouse immigration visa in the U.S. – Source
- Mexico’s illegal immigration to the U.S. decreased by 80% since 2000.
- In exchange for granting citizenship, a corrupt U.S. immigration official once accepted 200 egg rolls. Source
- US Immigration and Customs held Bollywood Actor Shahrukh Khan for questioning in August 2009 because he was visiting the U.S. to promote his film My Name is Khan which is related with racial profiling of the Muslims in the U.S. – Source
The immigration market size is huge. Each year over 10 million people are coming to the U.S. for travel, education and business purposes and most of them decide they would like to stay in the U.S. permanently.