Let’s talk about B-1/B-2 Visa. First of all, you should focus on the personal statement in which you explain the reason for your extension/change of status. For example, from B-2 to B-1. The reason would vary (business or pleasure)

What is B-1 Visa?

B-1 Visa is for foreign nationals who visit the U.S. solely for business purposes and the initial period of stay granted is for 6 months. The non-immigrant specifies his period of stay for a short term in the U.S. B-1 Visa holders can enter the U.S. only to perform certain legitimate business activities which are related to their profession or business. They are not permitted to receive payments from a U.S. source for the businesses they engage in the U.S., but they are eligible to accept travel reimbursements.

The foreign nationals also need to produce evidence demonstrating they have enough funds to cover for travel, stay and other expenses during the stay in the U.S. The alien should also produce evidence demonstrating their strong ties abroad that could ensure their return back to their own country. The non-immigrant should not be visiting the U.S. to engage in activities related to business activities for a U.S. employer.

Aliens on B-1 Visa can engage in certain commercial activities that do not involve employment leading to profits such as purchasing inventory or supplies an exporting abroad, taking sales orders, contract negotiations, consultation with business associates, participation conventions or conferences that are professional, educational, business or scientific in nature.

B-2 Visa

The non-immigrants who are granted the B-2 Visa must demonstrate that the purpose of their visit is either for pleasure or medical treatment. They should also mention in their application that they will be visiting the U.S. for a certain period of time. The non-immigrant should also produce evidence that they have strong connections abroad which they do not intend to abandon during their stay in the U.S. The foreign national will only be eligible to engage in activities related with pleasure which are considered legitimate.

According to the statement of purpose you have to prepare the evidence, i.e: previous plane tickets or tickets for a business that you participated in the past but also for conference meetings during the time of the extension.

What you need to prepare for B-1/2 Visa?

  • Fill out the form!
  • Attach copy of your passport, of visa page, entrance stamp
  • Resend I-94 (paper shows when you enter and how long you can stay)
  • You will also need to present sufficient amount of money that will allow you to stay in the US.
  • It is also very important to attach ties back home, i.e.: school, work ownership of real estate, car, insurance, utility bills, tax returns, employment letter.
  • Make sure to include the ticket to your home country.
  • Now tell us, is it worth paying 500$ and get someone else to do it for you?

According to lawyers and paralegals, there is a know-how and a great amount of thought being spent on the personal statement. Browse Paralegals and immigration professionals and extend your stay safely with PassRight.