When you apply for a Green Card (Adjustment of Status) in the United States, you usually need to have a medical examination. The exam must be done by a doctor who is authorized by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS designates certain doctors (also known as civil surgeons) to perform the medical exam required for most Green Card applicants.

Please use this tool to find a doctor near you.

What To Bring To The Exam?

  1. Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record
  2. Government-issued photo identification, such as a valid passport or driver’s license. If you are 14 years old or younger, bring identification that shows your name, date and place of birth and parent’s full name. Possible forms of identification include your birth certificate (with an English translation) or an affidavit.
  3. Vaccination or immunization record (such as DT, DTP, DTaP, Td, Tdap, OPV, IPV, MMR, Hib, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, varicella, pneumococcal influenza, rotavirus and meningococcal disease, and COVID-19). NOTE: Effective July 25, 2022, the lower age limit for the COVID-19 vaccine requirement is 6 months of age.
  4. Health insurance card. You should ask if the civil surgeon accepts your medical plan for immigration medical examinations. Many health insurance plans do not cover all portions of this examination.
  5. Payment (check with the civil surgeon’s office about acceptable forms of payment). It may be helpful to call a few civil surgeons to find out how much they charge for the immigration medical examination. Prices can vary by several hundred dollars.

During The Exam:

The medical examination entails a review of your medical history and a physical examination.

The doctor will complete a comprehensive examination that will include a review of your medical history and a physical examination. The doctor will also test for communicable diseases such as tuberculosis, syphilis, and gonorrhea.

After the exam, the doctor will complete Form I-693 and seal the form in an envelope for you to submit to USCIS. Make sure you get a copy of the completed Form I-693 for your personal records before the doctor seals the envelope. USCIS will not accept the form if the envelope has been opened or altered.

For full details, please go to uscis.gov/i-693